The Nuffield Future Researchers programme is looking for researchers and industry specialists who can provide supervised online research projects for post-16 students who can work independently.
This programme, has been developed in response to the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic and the need to move to an online model of the Nuffield Research Placements programme during summer 2020.
The students we target are from high attaining yet socially and economically disadvantaged backgrounds who are considering STEM or STEM-related further study and careers. They are highly motivated and enthusiastic to collaborate with knowledgeable experts on a live research question. These supervised research question activities will need to be set within our Google Classroom and can be flexibly supervised over a three to four-week period in July and August.
These students are currently facing a long period away from formal learning and the importance of enrichment and extension activities like this have probably never been greater.
Whilst Nuffield Research placements are known to improve the futures of aspiring STEM students, it can also provide invaluable benefits to supervisors like you by giving you the opportunity to:
- Support young people and revitalise your team.
- Apply and develop your own research skills.
- Fulfil corporate goals by working with students from diverse backgrounds.
- Introduce new perspectives to your ongoing research
- Investigate new data and spark your curiosity for future research concepts and projects.
- Reignite existing research projects you have not had capacity for
- Forge strong links with schools and colleges in your local area.
But don’t take it from us, Viviana who hosted 2 students last year as part of Nuffield Research Placements said, “Whilst the placement was of huge benefit to the career goals of the students it has also given me invaluable skills to pursue my own career goals of becoming a university lecturer.”
If you would like to express your interest in supporting our Nuffield Future Researchers programme this summer or would like to find out more about becoming a Project Supervisor, please contact [email protected]